Commemorates General Sir Ralph Abercromby (1734-1801),
Commander of the British Army
in Egypt who was killed in the battle of Alexandra in 1801
HALL AVENUE 14
Ackers Hall was the dower house of Lady Molyneaux,
the widow of Sir Patrick Molyneaux
who died in 1568. Afterwards, she married William Moore of Bankhall
Formerly Sickman's Lane or Deadman's Lane
after Joseph Addison (1672-1719) poet, essayist and statesman. The former
was given to the country lane where, in times of plague, sufferers were
isolated in cabins.
If they died, the poor were buried in the vicinity.
HALL ROAD AND AIGBURTH HALL AVENUE 19
The original Aigburth Hall was a medieval building
which came into the possession of the
Tarleton family of Fazakerley through marriage. It was demolished and
a modern building bearing the name was built on the site. That, too,
has been demolished.
It is a riverside walk adjacent to Albert Dock,
which was opened by Prince Albert in 1846.
The name derives from a mansion built by Sir Henry
Tate, to the design of Norman Shaw,
called Allerton Beeches.
Commemorates the Battle of Alma, in the Crimean
War, when the Russians were totally defeated
Derived from Hangfield, the original name of Breckfield
The name was inspired by the so-called Archer's
Stone in nearby Booker Avenue.
Called after John, Duke of Argyll, celebrated
by Scott in "The heart of Mid-Lothian".
The house which gave the road this name was built
by James Clemens, Mayor of Liverpool
in 1775 when the seamen's riots took place and the Town Hall was attacked
cannon brought from their ships.
STREET 13 AND ASHTON SQUARE 25
They commemorate Nicholas Ashton, owner of the
Dungeon Salt Works, Hale, and a ship-owner.
Named after the Duke of Athol, on whom an Honourary
Freedom was conferred by the Town
One of the streets laid out by Mr Hunter, who
was engaged in the Virginia tobacco trade and
lived in Mount Pleasant.
Named in compliment to General Sir Banastre Tarleton,
MP. Son of John Tarleton, he was
born in a house on the corner of Fenwick Street and Water Street. He
fought in the American
Bankhall was the second home of the Moore family.
It's site was about the junction of Juniper street and Bankhall Lane
but about twenty feet above the present ground level. It was demolished
Named after a mansion called `Barkhill' on Mossley
Hill, first occupied by Thomas Adison who was succeeded by James Howell,
a cotton broker. In 1845, Howell's daughter named a ship `Barkhill'
from the Baffin Street yard of Thomas Royden.
Laid out between 1770 and 1780 by the Basnett
family of which Christopher was the founder. He was the first minister
of Key Street Chapel (licensed in 1707), the meeting place of the Protestant
The name derives from the sea-water baths erected
about 1765. They were demolished in 1817 to make way for Princes Dock.
Derives from Beaconsfield House, a mansion built
by Ambrose Lee, a solicitor and property owner, who laid out the road.
He is thought to have named it in allusion to the beacon on Woolton
Named after the Duke of Beaufort, formerly the
Marquis of Worcester, who was the guardian of Charles William, 8th Viscount
Molyneux and 1st Earl of Sefton, who was orphaned when eight years of
Named after the Duke of St Alban's family, the
Beauclerks, who inherited the Speke Estate of the Norris's
The name derives from the mansion called Beechwood
House, one of a group of Grade Two listed buildings.
Named in compliment to Charles Henry Beloe, a
civil engineer, who sat as a Liberal for Abercromby Ward on Liverpool
City Council from 1892 to 1902.
Called after John Benson, the refractory juryman
referred to in one of the Letters of Junius addressed to Lord Mansfield,
the Lord Chief Justice of the King's Bench.
It was named after a thatched cottage in Lodge
Lane which was William Roscoe's last home and where he died in 1831.
Originally Colquitt Street. Henry Berry, Liverpool's
second dock engineer, lived in a house on the north-east corner of Duke
It was the name of a thickly wooded valley between
Bevington Hill and Everton Hill. An inn on Bevington Hill was called
It was laid out through a field called Birchfield
on which three houses were built, one of them owned by William Roscoe,
who also owned the field.
Alderman Thomas Bixteth, Mayor of Liverpool in
1701, was complimented by the Corporation for having paved the street
in front of his house with his own hands.
John Blackburn, Mayor of Liverpool in 1760, lived
in Blackburn House between 1785 and 1790.
HORSE LANE 13
Formerly Black Moss Lane
The former name referred to one of the bogs, or
mosses by which Liverpool was surrounded for centuries. The present
name derives from the original inn of that name at the Prescot Road
corner of the lane.
The name of an estate near Bolton was granted
to Hugh le Norris of Speke by John, Count of Mortain in the 12th century.
It takes it's name from the Black Wood, which
appears on an enclosure map of 1813, when it was owned by Bamber Gasgoyne
of Childwall Hill.
Named after Admiral Robert Blake (1599-1657),
who became commander of Parliamentary forces during the Civil War but,
in 1649, was appointed General-at-Sea and won several victories against
Prince Rupert, the Dutch and the Spaniards.
Named after Jonas Bold, who leased land from the
Corporation on which St Luke's Church and a ropery owned by James and
Jonathon Brookes were built.
Perpetuates the memory of John Bolton who, 1803,
raised and equipped 800 men at his own expense. They became known as
Bolton's Invincibles. On December 20th, 1805, Bolton fought and won
the last duel to take place in the town.
Josias Booker was a West India merchant who lived
in Poplar Grove, Allerton. He was one of the founders of St Anne's Church,
It was here that the second Botanic Gardens were
It marks the aincient boundary between Liverpool
PARK AVENUE 16
Sir William Benjamin Bowring gave to the city
Ropy Hall and Park which was renamed Bowring Park.
Breck is an Old English word meaning uncultivated
ROAD NORTH 5
Formely Hangfield Lane.
Hangfield or hongfield means an ancient division
Commemorates the completion of the Bridgewater
canal in 1773.
Named after Admiral Lord Bridport (1726-1814),
a brother of Lord Hood who was second in command of the "Glorious First
of June", 1794, when the French were defeated in a battle fought 400
miles west of Ushant.
AVENUE 18 & 19
John Alexander Brodie, Liverpool's City Engineer
(1898-1925). In 1891, he invented and patented football nets and, in
1901, he patented the idea of prefabricating houses from reinforced
concrete slabs. He also introduced the idea of using central reservations
for tramcars. The first reserved track, Edge Lane to Broad Green, was
completed in 1914.
Joseph Brooke, a merchant and a ropemaker, lived
in a house in Hanover Street which had an ornamental garden through
which the alley was laid.
Named after the Venerable Archdeacon Brooks (1775-1855),
Rector of Liverpool, who owned land in the vicinity.
Henry Peter, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux, was
a lawyer, Whig politician and Lord Chancellor of England. He was a friend
of the Rev. William Shepherd, minister of Gateacre Unitarian Chapel,
and it was Brougham who composed Shepherd's memorial tablet in that
HILL & STREET 3
One of the meanings of the word "low" is hill
and so Brownlow Hill means simply "brown hill"
Formerly Folly Lane.
It is said that while a painter engaged in repainting
street signs was temporarily absent, a lady sympathetic to Caroline,
the ill-used consort of George IV, boldly chalked "Brunswick Place"
on the original sign. The painter on returning and seeing the alteration,
assumed it had been made by someone in authority and so he copied it.
Later Brunswick Place became Brunswick Road. Islington was originally
called Folly Lane but it was extended to include Brunswick Road. The
Folly was a tall tower built by a man named Gibson on the site now occupied
by Wellington Column. At the foot of the tower were pleasure gardens.
John Button was granted a lease on the land through
which the street was cut in 1722. He recorded his vote in 1784, having
lived through the reigns of six monarchs of England.
Formerly Towns End Lane or Dog Kennel Lane.
It was named after George Byrom, a pavior and
builder, who had a yard nearby. The former names derived from Towns
End, the name for the end of Dale Street and from the neighbouring
kennels of the Corporation supported pack of hounds.
Sir Charles Pratt, 1 st Earl of Camden (1713-1794) was called to the Bar
in 1738. He was Lord Chancellor (1766-1770), President of the Council
(1782-1794) and was created Earl of Camden in 1786.
Formerly Pot House I.ane. George Campbell, a West India merchant and
sugar boiler, was Mayor of Liverpool in 1763. The name Pot House
Lane derived from a pottery.
By a resolution of the Council in May, 1832, `it was named out of respect
to the memory of the late Right Honourable George Canning to whose exertions
the Council are so mainly indebted in the assistance afforded them in
carrying into effect the plan for erecting a new Custom House and other
Revenue Buildings on the abovementioned site.'
Carlton was the name of a leading member of the board of the City of
Dublin Packet Company whose premises were nearby.
The first Carnatic Hall was built by Baker and Dawson, owners of the
privateer `Mentor', out of part of the proceeds of the sale resulting
from the capture of the French EastIndiaman `Carnatic' in 1799.
Commemorates the shipwrights of the neighbouring shipyards.
The Molyneux family owned most of Toxteth Park and it was after Caryl,
3rd Viscount Molyneux that this street and Lord Street were named.
Mr Carver, Steward to the Earl of Derby had a house there.
Named after Thomas Case, a brother-in-law of Sarah Clayton.
It took its name from the hill which ran down from Castle Street to
the river. Daniel Defoe was entertained in the house of Sam Done on
Castle Hill in 1705. It is now only 13 yards long.
Called after his mother by William Jones (1788-1876), who built houses
in the city's Bloomsbury area. He built his own house, 35 Catherine
Street, where he lived until his death.
It is on the fringe of Princes Park, which was laid out by Joseph Paxton,
then head gardener to the Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth. The name
perpetuates the association of the Cavendish's with this enterprise.
Joseph Cazneau, a merchant, built the first house in the street in 1796.
Called after the proprietor of a limekiln in the neighbourhood.
It led to the ancient chapel of St Mary-del-Quay on the water's edge.
Chapel Street was one of the original seven streets.
Called after William Pitt (1708-1778), Ist Earl of Chatham, the "Great
Commoner" and one of the Britain's greatest statesmen.
ABBEY ROAD 16
There never was an abbey in Childwall, The name derives from that of
a hotel called Childwall Abbey.
PRIORY ROAD 16
A farm called Childwall Priory gave its name to
A potter named Philip Christian built a house on the corner of the street
with material salvaged from the demolition of Gibson's Folly.
So called from St Peter's Church Liverpool's first Corporation Church
and the first church to be built in England since the Reformation. It
was built (1700-1704), on the site now occupied by the Burton Group,
to the design of mason-architect John Moffat, a Lowland Scot. From 1880
to 1922, when it was demolished, it was the pro-cathedral.
Named after the Duke of Clarence, later William IV. He visited Liverpool
in 1790 when Clarence Street was laid. The Duke was very popular in
Liverpool because he spoke in the House of Lords in favour of the slave
trade. In 1799, in recognition of his services, the Freedom of the Borough
was conferred on him.
Sarah Clayton, who laid out the square and neighbouring streets between
1745 and 1750, was the daughter of William Clayton, MP.
The name commemorates John Cleveland, Mayor in 1703 and Member of Parliament
for the Borough (1710-1713).
The name derives from the mansion called Clevely built by Joseph Leather,
a cotton merchant, to the design of Sir Gilbert Scott. It was demolished
Named after Councillor Francis Anderson Clint, who was a former Chairman
of the Watch Committee.
There was once a market for Prescot coal on the corner of Pudsey Street
and a weighing machine in connection with it was established in Coal
The name is a reminder that there was once a cockpit in the street.
On its site was built a Dissenter's chapel.
STREETS NORTH, SOUTH & EAST 6
They are all streets adjacent to the Liverpool Collegiate Street.
COLQUITT STREET 1
John Colquitt was Collector of Customs and lived in Hanover Street.
His land extended to the present Berry Street.
Named after Lieutenant-General (later Field Marshal) Stapledon Cotton,
1st Viscount Combermere, upon whom the Council conferred the Freedom
of the Borough in 1821.
So named about the time the Commutation Act was passed to prevent the
evasion of window tax by making windows unusually large.
In 1840 a concert hall was built on the corner of the street to
replace another destroyed by fire. It is now a bookshop.
AVENUE NORTH 18 & COOPER AVENUE SOUTH 19
Named after Alderman Joseph Cooper, an ironmonger, of Oak House, Aigburth
It got its name from a Copperas Works on the hill which became the
subject of controversy because of the foul smells it emitted.
It was owned by Richard Hughes, Mayor in 1756, who was prosecuted by
the Council and ordered to move the workselsewhere.
Named after Charles, lst Marquis Cornwallis (1738-1805), Governor General
of India (1786-1793) and Governor of Ireland. He negotiated the Peace
of Amiens in 1802 and was appointed Governor of India in 1804.
HEY ROAD 16
The name derives from a mansion called Court Hey, once the home of a
branch of the Gladstone family.
Mr Justice Cresswell represented Liverpool in Parliament from 1837 to
It takes its name from Dr Peter Crompton who owned Eton Lodge (now Bishop
Named after James Cropper, a Quaker and philanthropist. He bought the
Dingle Bank Estate on which he built three houses for occupation by
himself and his two sons. He was a merchant and a ship owner but his
ships only carried dummy guns. He was a staunch supporter of the campaign
to abolish slavery.
Crosse Hall was the Liverpool home of the Crosse family. It stood on
the site now occupied by the Municipal Buildings.
A reminder that the land on which Princes Park and Sefton Park were
laid out was bought from the Earl of Sefton, whose home was Croxteth
During the 1745 Scottish rebellion, Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, the
`Butcher of Culloden', was supported by a Liverpool regiment which did
duty in the defence of Carlisle.
Named after Foster Cunliffe, an enterprising and successful merchant
and slave trader who was Mayor in 1716, 1729 and 1735. Inscribed on
his monument in St Peter's Church were the words: `a merchant whose
sagacity, honesty and diligence procurred wealth and credit to himself
and his country; a magistrate who administered justice with discernment,
candour and impartiality, a Christian devout and exemplary.'
This narrow lane led to Liverpool's third Custom House on the quayside
of the Old Dock.
So called because it led to the dale through which flowed the stream
from Moss Lake to the Pool of Liverpool. It was one of the original
Named after one of the woods on the Speke Estate which for centuries
provided the oak from which so many of the Royal Navy's ships were built
in Liverpool shipyards.
Named after Pudsey Dawson, Mayor in 1799. He lived in 35
Rodney Street and was especially concerned with
the welfare of the blind.
Daniel Daulby of Rydal Mount, Westmoreland, owned the land
through which the street was cut. He married Margaret, William
Roscoe's only sister, and they took up residence
in the street they named Daulby street.
So called after Richard Deane who lived in Ranelagh Street but owned
a ropery on the site on which the street was laid. It has shortened
considerably in recent years.
William Denison was the part-owner of the privateer `Enterprise' and
he shared in the £7000 profit from the first three voyages.
The name serves as a reminder of the association of the Duke of Devonshire
with the creation of Princes Park (see Cavendish Gardens).
The Deys Brook was a very ancient stream running through West Derby.
Named after Lord Derby who obtained a small grant to enable a small
square to be formed for a market on the site of Liverpool Castle.
Derives from the dingle or valley through which a stream
ran from High Park, along what is now Park Road
to the Mersey. William Roscoe wrote a poem about it when
it eventually dried up.
Felix Doran was an Irish merchant who lived in Lord Street.
He was part-owner of the slave ship `Bloom'
and he shared in the profit of £28123 from the sale
of 307 slaves on one voyage alone.
AVENUE and DOVECOTE PLACE 14
Dovecote was a mansion built in 1829 by John Torbock.
CROSS GARDENS and DRUIDS CROSS ROAD 18
The name Druids Cross was given to a house built by Joseph
Hornby, a merchant.
Originally Entwhistle Street. It was in this street that Thomas
Steers built a theatre.
So called after the City of Dublin Steam Packet whose berth was close
Originally `the road to the quary'. Named in compliment to the Duke
of Cumberland. Its original name referred to the quarry which became
St James' Cemetery and is now called Cathedral Gardens.
Named after John Dunbabin, who was a local farmer.
Originally Hotham Street. Named after Admiral Adam, Viscount Duncan
(1731-1804), best remembered for his victory over the Dutch Admiral
de Winter off Camperdown. He was conferred with the Freedom of the Borough
as a token of the Council's respect.
Thomas Cochrane, l0th Earl of Dundonald, served with distinction in
the South African War.
It leads to Dungeon Point, Hale, where there was once a salt works owned
by the Ashton family.
Originally Rake Lane. It was called after William Durning, an owner
of a considerable amount of land in the area, who built himself a house
in the road.
It was laid through the Spekelands Estate of the Earle family.
Philip Eberle owned two hotels in Dale Street and he acted as caterer
for the Town Hall for sixteeen years. When he retired, William Street
was renamed Eberle Street in compliment to him.
LANE 7 & 13
It is an ancient highway so called for its position along the edge of
the township of West Derby, parallel with the dividing line between
West Derby and Wavertree.
Originally Mill House Lane. It was laid out on land belonging to Sir
Cleave Moore. When he married, it was named in honour of his bride,
Commemorates Francis Egerton, Duke of Bridgewater (of canal fame).
Named after Lord Chancellor John Scott, lst Earl of Eldon, who held
office from 1801 to 1827.
Commemorates Sir George Augustus Elliot, who defended Gibraltar from
June, 1799 to 1783.
Named after Thomas Erskine, a lawyer, who sat in Parliament as a Whig
and, in 1806, was made Lord Chancellor.
This was the name given to the area adjacent to the Town Hall on which,
until commodity exchanges were built, merchants gathered to transact
STREET EAST 2
Formerly Juggler Street and High Street. The Exchange was the present
The name derives from Fairfield Hall (nicknamed Tea Caddy Hall) built
by Thomas Tarleton.
Laid out by Edward Falkner, who intended to name it Wellington Square
but it was nicknamed `Falkner's Folly' because it was too far out of
Formerly Crabtree Lane. Named after Edward Falkner who, in 1797, enrolled
1000 men in an hour for the defence of Liverpool when a French invasion
Named after John Farnworth, Mayor in 1865.
Originally Rosemary Lane. The Fazakerley's of Walton were owners of
land through which the street was laid.
Named after Edward Moore's inlaws. His wife was the daughter of William
Fenwick of Meldon Hall, Northumberland. The street was sometimes referred
to as Phoenix Street or Phenwych Street.
Formerly Mockbeggar Lane. The name derives from Finch House,
which was built in 1776 by Richard Gildart, who represented Liverpool
in Parliament from 1734 to 1754 and was three times Mayor. Mackbeggar
Hall was a name usually applied to a grand, ostentatious house where
no hospitality was afforded nor any charity given.
Formerly Clarence Street. As Liverpool absorbed neighbouring townships,
street names were often duplicated. As a result, names, usually in the
district taken over, were sometimes changed. In this way, Clarence Street,
Everton, became Fitzclarence Street, the name given to the Duke of Clarence's
children by Mrs Jordan.
Although the street was not laid until 1790, its name was intended to
commemorate the Battle of Fontenoy (1745). It is the only street in
Liverpool commemorating a British defeat.
Named after Charles Fox (1749-1806), a Whig politician who was Foreign
Secretary in the `Ministry of all Talents'.
Named after Frederick Louis, Duke of Edinburgh, the father
of George III.
Named after James, Admiral Gambier (1756-1833). He distinguished
himself on the `Glorious First of June' ( 1794) and he was commander
of the British fleet at Copenhagen (1807), after which encounter
he was elevated to the peerage.
Richard Cardwell Gardner was Mayor in 1862.
Named after Prince George of Denmark (1653-1708), the consort of Queen
Commemorates the Siege of Gibraltar (1779-1783).
Richard Gildart, Mayor in 173 1 and 1736, owned land through which the
street was cut. He was one of Liverpool's Members of Parliament (1734-1754).
This name is another reminder of the many mosses and bogs which
isolated Liverpool for centuries.
Commemorates John Gore, bookseller and stationer, who was the publisher
of Liverpool's first directory and of the newspaper, Gore's Liverpool
Goree was a bare basalt rock off Cape Verde where slaves were gathered
together for shipment to the plantations.
Named after Sir John Gower, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster when
the castle site was secured for the town. It is one of only two named
streets on the dock estate.
Called after the Duke of Grafton, Whig Prime Minister (1766-1770).
Named after Edward Grayson, a shipwright, who was killed in one of
the last duels to be fought in Liverpool (1804).
The name derives from the ancient place name of Gresyndale or Grese
Londale, meaning long, grassy valley.
CHARLOTTE STREET 1
Charlotte was the name of King George III's consort.
GEORGE SQUARE 1
A statue of George III was to have been erected in the square and the
foundation stone was laid on his golden jubilee. The response to the
mayor's appeal for funds to complete the project was tardy and years
passed before the sculptor could be paid. Eventually, the statue was
raised in London Road at its junction with Pembroke Place, now called
3 & 5
It perpetuates the name of the great reformer and philanthropist, John
Howard. He took a great interest in the planning of the Borough Gaol,
,which was built in this street in 1786.
NEWTON STREET 3
Named after John Newton, once the master of a ship engaged in the slave
trade who became a Church of England clergyman. In cooperation with
the poet William Cowper, he wrote the Olney hymns, of which the best
known is `Amazing Grace'.
In 1787, William Rathbone IV bought Green Bank, a farm in Toxteth, for
a summer residence and the lane took its name from the farm.
ROAD I 8
The name derives from a mansion called Greenhill built for Sir Henry
Tate to the design of Norman Shaw.
Liverpool's whaling industry was based nearby.
A name inspired by the so-called Archers' Stone in nearby Booker Avenue.
STREET SOUTH 1
Originally Leveson Street. Named after Lord Grenville (1759-1834), Foreign
Secretary under Pitt after whose death he succeeded as Prime Minister.
It was Grenville who, in 1807, introduced the Bill for the abolition
of the slave trade. The name of the street was changed because of its
notoriety after the murder there of the wife of a ship's captain, his
two children and a maid in 1849.
FARM ROAD 19
Named after one of the many farms on the Speke Estate.
Called after a tenant of Sir Edward Moore, John Hacking, through whose
croft the narrow street was laid. A hey is land enclosed by hedges.
Formerly Mount Vernon. The name refers to Mount Vernon Hall which became
a school and, it is said, was attended by Gladstone for a while.
Originally King Street. It was called after the reigning family.
Named after Mrs Hardman, the widow of John Hardman of Allerton, who
owned land through which the street was laid.
Named after Thomas Masterman Hardy (1769-1839), Nelson's Flag Captain
who was with him at Trafalgar when Nelson was killed by a sniper's bullet.
Originally Castle Hey. The Harringtons of Aigburth owned the land.
Harthill House was built about 1829. In 1848, it was bought by John
Bibby, an iron and copper merchant, whose wife was a daughter of
Jesse Hartley, the celebrated Dock Engineer.
The street was laid out on land belonging to the Marquis
of Salisbury, whose ancestral home is Hatfield.
Called after Hatton, near Warrington, the native village of the Johnson
brothers who owned the land.
Named after Admiral Edward Hawke, 1st Baron Hawke (1705-1781 ). His
most spectacular exploit was the destruction of the French fleet at
Quiberon Bay, which brought to an end plans for the invasion of England.
According to Smollett, he was `the Father of the English Navy.'
It was laid out on what was once Garston Heath.
Originally Church Street. James Heyworth owned considerable land in
the neighbourhood and built a villa in the street named after him.
PARK STREET, PARKHILL ROAD and SOUTH HILL ROAD 8
High Park was the highest point in Toxteth Park and, in the l8th
century, because of its salubrity, became a popular summer resort
for Liverpool folk. The area was often referred to as `the
Richmond of the Mersey'. Parkhill and South Hill are names
relating to High Park.
The name derives from Highfield House, Old Swan. Built in
1763, it became the home of the Dower Duchess of Athol in
1775. She sold the house and estate to her son, the Duke of Athol.
Presumably so named in allusion to Camp Hill.
Originally Molyneux Weint. The Hockenhalls were a Cheshire family related
to the Moores and Sir Edward Moore refers to the house in Dale Street
he bought from his cousin, Henry Hockenhall of Tranmere.
The Hodsons were an Everton family who owned much of the land hereabout.
The name derives from a mansion called Holmfield, once the residence
of Sir Thomas Bland Royden and the birthplace of his distinguished daughter
Maud Royden, preacher and social worker.
It led to Holt Hall Farm, which belonged to the Brettargh family.
When Durning Road was continued through Mr Durning's land, he named
it Holt Road after his son-inlaw, George Holt.
William Hope, a merchant, built the first house in the street on the
corner of Hardman Street. The site is now occupied by the Philharmonic
Named to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the observation of the
transit of Venus over the disc of the sun by Jeremiah Horrocks, `the
founder of English astronomy' (Newton). Horrocks was born in the Lower
Lodge of Toxteth Park, at Otterspool, c.1619.
Named after Rear Admiral Samuel, Lord Hood (1724-1816), who was made
an Honorary Freeman of Liverpool `in testimony of the high respect this
Corporation has for him on account of the very eminent and signal services
rendered by him to this country in the late war'.
Named after Admiral William Hotham, lst Baron Hotham (17361813), who
was in action with Rodney, Howe and Hood.
Named after Rowland Hunter, a retired tradesman and tax collector from
Cable Street, who built a house on the corner of Byrom Street.
Called after Thomas Hurst, a shipwright, who was granted a lease of
part of The Strand in 1710.
Commemorates William Huskisson, MP who was killed at the official opening
of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway in 1830.
Originally Saint James Street. A shipwright named Roger James lived
in a house on Moor Street and it is thought by some historians that
it was from him that the street derived its name. However, there
is no evidence to support this (James died in 1694). After St James
Church, Toxteth was built in 1774, the south end of Park Lane was called
St James Street and the original St James Street became
LANE and JERICHO FARM CLOSE 17
Their name derives from Jericho Farm, one of those created by
the Puritans who settled in Toxteth Park in the l7th century.
The Johnson brothers, bricklayers and builders, owned the land through
which Hatton Gardens and Johnson Street were laid.
It was laid out during the Jubilee of George III.
It leads to the Judges Lodging in Newsham Park.
Named after Richard Kent, a merchant and ship-owner, who, in 1768, built
himself a handsome house on the corner of Kent Street and Duke Street.
Laid out by Councillor Kilshaw about 1845.
EDWARD STREET 3
It dates from 1903 and was named in compliment to Edward VII.
The name given to the second Mersey tunnel by Elizabeth II when she
declared it open on June 24th, 1971.
Laid out by brothers John and James Knight about 1785.
Named after Thomas Lance (1769-1829), an insurance broker and
merchant, who was a member of the Wavertree Local Board. Portraits of
him, his wife and three children are in Sudley Art Gallery.
The name derives from a mansion called Larkhill built, in 1760, by Jonathon
Blundell of the Ince family of that name. It had a cockpit.
John Lathbury was the Earl of Sefton's agent and he lived in Toxteth
Farm to where the lane led.
It perpetuates the memory of Charles Lawrence, a West India merchant,
who was Mayor in 1823 and Chairman of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway
at its inaugration.
The name derives from the Leather Hall, a market for leather, which
stood there until 1833, when it was moved to Gill Street.
HALL PARK 25
Lee Hall was built in 1773 for the Okill family.
William Leece, a merchant after whom the street is named, lived in Water
Originally Maiden's Green. It was the terminus of the Leeds and Liverpool
Elizabeth Leigh was the maiden name of Sarah Clayton's mother.
Originally Limekiln Lane. Where the railway station now stands, there
were limekilns in the l8th century. They were dismantled after complaints
by the doctors of the Infirmary across the street about the injurious
effect of the fumes emitted on their patients.
It was originated by Thomas Lister, a retired cotton broker, who became
Chairman of the West Derby Local Board.
DRIVE NORTH and SOUTH 17
In order to get a good approach to Sefton Park, the Corporation bought
twelve acres of land from Joseph Livingston for £12000.
1t led to the Higher Lodge of Toxteth Park.
Originally Molyneux Lane or Lord Molyneux Street. Molyneux had a house
on the north side of Lord Street. After it was demolished, a commercial
building called Commerce Court was built on the site and it bore the
Molyneux arms carved in stone. The building was destroyed during the
last war and the carved arms were lost.
NELSON STREET 3
Named after Admiral Horatio Nelson (17S8-1805), England's greatest naval
hero. He was a great favourite with Liverpudlians because,
in addition to his professional success, he supported the
slave trade. In 1798, he was conferred with the Freedom of the Borough.
In acknowledging the honour, he wrote from the `Victory': `I was
taught to appreciate the value of our West India possessions, nor
shall their interests be infringed while I have an arm to fight in their
Low means hill as in Brownlow and Spellow.
Lord Lugard was Nigeria's famous Governor and Commander-in-Chief.
ANNE STREET 1
Called after the wife of George Perry, manager of the Phoenix Foundry
to which the street led.
John Singleton Copley, Baron Lyndhurst (1772-1863), was three time Lord
Alexander McGregor was a merchant who was subsequently manager of the
Bank of England branch in Manchester. He owned a house in the street.
It is believed to be the only street in the city named after a Roman
Canon Major Lester, Vicar of Kirkdale, founded the Major Street Ragged
Before it opened, in 1821, coaches for London, Warrington and Manchester
left Liverpool via London Road but they to proceed along
Dale Street and the steep hill called Shaw's Brow (now William Brown
Street). The creation of Manchester Street enabled them to reach
London Road via a widened St John's Lane, which presented a much
Joseph Manesty was a merchant and ship-owner who lived on the corner
of the street and whose garden was famous for its lavender.
Originally Mersey Island. It was an artificial island between George's
Dock and Canning Dock on three sides and the Mersey on the west. It
lost its water on the north and east sides with the conversion of George's
Dock into the building site for the Pier Head buildings. It gets its
name from John Mann, an oil-stone dealer, who died there in 1784.
It led to the Old Dock and was an approach regularly used by seamen.
A name given at the request of some Catholic inhabitants of the neighbourhood.
MARYLAND STREET 1
Named in compliment to his trade by Mr Hunter, a Virginia tobacco merchant,
who lived in Mount Pleasant and whose gardens extended to the street.
Edward Mason, a timber merchant, built a house near the north end of
the street about 1800. His gardens and grounds extended the whole length
of Paddington as far as Smithdown Lane. He built St Mary's, Edge Lane,
at his own expense.
AVENUE 18 & 19
Commemorates Arthur Stanley Mather, a solicitor, who was Mayor in 1915-16.
AVENUE 18 & 25
Called after Alderman Thomas Menlove (1840-1913), a draper and Chairman
of the Health Committee.
Domingo Mere extended from Mere Lane to Beacon Lane, Everton. In winter,
it was very popular with skaters and members of the local curling club.
lt was known locally as St Domingo Pit.
A hybrid name given to the playing field of St Francis Xavier School,
made up from the first syllables of the names of the two priests who
founded it, Melling and Woodlock.
So called because it is exactly one mile from the Exchange, now the
Formerly Bedford Street. The name derives from a windmill, which stood
on the spot that is now the junction of Hill Street and
Mill Street. It was one of many in the area, which became known as `Little
The site of an equestrian statue of George III (see Great George Square).
It was laid out by Sir Edward Moore about 1665. Originally, it ran from
Castle Street down to the shore.
Originally Moor Croft. It was the site of a portion of the Moore family
estate, first mentioned in 1697.
Thomas Moss of Whiston, father of John Moss of Otterspool, bought land
on the road to Low Hill through which the street was laid.
It led to a pleasure garden called Mount Zion, or St James Mount. It
was on this site that the Anglican Cathedral was built.
VERNON STREET 7
It led to Vernon's Hall and it was so named about 1804.
Commemorates William Muirhead, Chairman oE the Health Committee.
ROAD NORTH and SOUTH 5
The name derives from an ancient field name meaning `the higher or upper
BIRD STREET 1
Named after Alderman Joseph Bird. a slave trader, who was Mayor in 1746.
A street between James Street and Redcross Street had been named in
his honour but it was abolished in the l8th century and New Bird Street
was named in replacement.
New Quay was a river wall suggested by Sir Edward Moore to arrest erosion.
Named after James Newland (1813-1871), Liverpool's first Borough Engineer.
The name derives from the Newsham House Estate bought by the Corporation
in order to create a public park.
GREEN ROAD 12
The name derives from `Norris Green' a mansion, erected by the West
Derby branch of the Norris family. The estate was purchased by the Corporation
in 1924 and the mansion was demolished in 1931.
Named after Lord North, Tory Prime Minister, 1770 to 1782.
JOHN STREET 2
Formerly Saint John Street. So called from lands belonging
to the chantry of Saint John in the Church of Our Lady and Saint Nicholas.
SUDLEY ROAD 17
The name derives from a mansion called `Sudley' on Mossley Hill. Built
by Nicholas Robinson, a corn merchant and Mayor in 1828,
it is now an art gallery housing a collection of paintings and furniture
bequeathed to the city by Miss Emma Holt.
HILL PARK 13
So called from Oak Hill House, built by Richard Wyatt in 1773. When
the Ladies' Walk at the north end of Liverpool was doomed, Wyatt
acquired the oak trees which lined it and had them transplanted in the
grounds of his mansion.
It derives from `Oaklands', the home of Sir Alfred Lewis Jones (1846-1909),
ship-owner and philanthropist and founder of the Liverpool
School of Tropical Medicine.
There was once an oil crushing works in this street owned by a firm
called Earles and Carter.
The name refers to the churchyard of Liverpool's parish
church, Our Lady and Saint Nicholas.
HALL STREET 3
Formerly White Acres Street or Peppard Street. The mansion
house and seat of the Moores was originally called More Hall. When they
moved to Bank Hall, the family referred to More Hall as the `Old Hal1',
and so the street leading to it became known as Old Hall Street.
A haymarket was held there up to 1841.
POST OFFICE PLACE 1
In 1800, the Post Office was moved from Lord Street to Post Office Place.
In 1839, business having increased substantially, it was moved to Revenue
Buildings, better remembered as the Custom House, Canning Place.
William Bushell, a tenant of Sir Edward Moore, lived in Castle Street
and had a long garden which he converted into a ropery.
This provoked Moore and there was a long argument between them over
It was named after Captain James Oldham, who built the first house in
the street. He was engaged in the Middle Passage, the Africa
to West Indies section of the triangular route followed by the slave
traders. Oldham died at sea in 1825.
Named after Orford Hall, Warrington, the seat of John Blackburne.
Called after his sister-in-law, Miss Orford, by Dr Kenyon, who laid
out land adjoining his house in High Street, Wavertree. Orford Street
was part of the development.
James, Duke of Ormond, was a statesman during the reign of Queen Anne
when the street was laid out.
The name given to the carriageway between the bottom of Mersey Road
and Jericho Lane when Otterspool Promenade was completed. An attempt
to apply the name to Jericho Lane was frustrated.
Originally `the road to the park'. The park was Toxteth Park.
ROAD and PARK STREET 8
These too derive from Toxteth Park.
`Parkfield' was the former residence of Robert Gladstone, Snr.
Originally Townsend Lane. So called after the Act of Parliament of 1773
created the new town of Harrington. It was the boundary between Liverpool
and Toxteth Park.
Originally Common Shore. Thomas Steers, the engineer who built the first
Liverpool Dock, owned land on Common Shore which he named Paradise Street
after the street of that name in Rotherhithe, London, where he once
Commemorates Thomas Parr, the banker, who built the house in Colquitt
Street which became the Royal Institution. He boasted that he had the
handsomest house, wife and horse in Liverpool.
Originally Peter Street. The name derives from St Peter's Church in
So called after the publican who built houses in the street.
The name derives from a firm of brewers (Pickop and Miles) who once
had a brewery in the street.
A stone pier, built in the 1760's known as the North Pier, jutted out
into the river from a site opposite St Nicholas's Church.
Originally Jamieson Street. Named after a privateer called `The Pilgrim',
which brought into Barbados a prize which, along with her cargo, sold
Named after William Pitt the Elder, 1st Earl of Chatham and Prime Minister,
It was laid out by Sam Plumpton, a landowner and a member
of the Town Council from 1842-1845.
Named after Thomas Colley Porter, Mayor in 1827, who won one of the
most corrupt elections in Liverpool's history.
Called after Henry CavendishBentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland (1738-1809),
twice Prime Minister in 1783 and 1807-09.
William Pownall, a merchant and Mayor in 1767, died of a chill caught
while quelling a riot on Devil's Acre, near Salthouse Dock, during his
year in office. The square is named after him.
ROAD 7 & 13
In the l7th and early l8th centuries, Liverpool's coal was brought from
Prescot by pack horses and an occasional wagon. In wet weather, the
road became impassable for wheeled vehicles and, due to the increased
demand created by the town's expanding population and industries, the
Council obtained Parliamentary permission to turnpike the road (1726).
In 1759, the road from Prescot to Warrington was turnpiked, thus enabling
coaches and wagons from Liverpool to join the north/south road connecting
with London and the main provincial centres.
The Prices were Lords of the Manor of Birkenhead and they were connected
with the Clevelands who laid out this street.
ALFRED ROAD 15
Originally Cow Lane. It was renamed when Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh,
visited Liverpool in 1866 as the guest of S R Graves, MP, at the Grange,
WILLIAM STREET 8
Commemorates King William of Orange.
BOULEVARD and PRINCES ROAD 8
Opened in 1846 and so
called because they led to Princes Park.
It leads from St Nicholas Place to Princess Dock. It was to have been
called Royal Parade.
So called after the allegiance between England and Frederick the Great
in the mid-l8th century. George Stubbs, the painter, lived in a house
on the corner of Prussia Street.
Named after Pudsey Dawson, a merchant and shipowner. Mayor in
1799, he was colonel of a regiment of volunteers raised in 1798.
The first Mersey Road Tunnel opened and named by George V on July l8th,
A Friends Meeting House was erected in Hackins Hey, in 1706, and attached
to it was a burial ground. The Quakers left for Hunter Street about
1796, after when the premises became a school.
It was started during the reign of Queen Anne. It was once the centre
of Liverpool's Welsh community.
GARDENS and RAINFORD SQUARE 2
Peter Rainford, Mayor in 1740, bought a piece of land on the bank of the
Pool of Liverpool and he laid it out as a market garden.
ROAD and RAMSBROOKE CLOSE 24
They were named after one of the many streams which threaded their way
through the Speke Estate to the Mersey.
It was laid out on what had been Lewis's staff sports ground.
STREET 1 and RANELAGH PLACE 3
The Ranelagh 'Tea Gardens stood on the site now occupied by the Adelphi
Hotel. T'he name derives from the elite l8th century Ranelagh Gardens
in Chelsea, London.
So called after the Rathbone family who owned the land.
The brothers John and Edward Renshaw owned a ropery on the
site of which the street was laid, hence its
Named after Dr Sylvester Richmond, a celebrated physician, philanthropist
and Mayor in 1672.
Gilbert Rigby, a merchant, lived on the corner of Old Hall
Street when Rigby Street was laid out.
Recalls a quarry which provided much of the stone used in the construction
of Liverpool's docks and buildings.
Named after Admiral George Brydges, 1st Baron Rodney (1718-1792) after
his victory over the French, under Count de Grasse, off
St Lucia in the West lndies (1782). He was rewarded with a peerage and
a pension of £2000 a year.
William Roe, a merchant, lived in Queen Square in a house which became
the Stork Hotel.
William Roscoe, Liverpool's `greatest son', was born in the Bowling
Green Inn at the top of Mount Pleasant but some confusion
has arisen because there was another Bowling Green Inn lower
down Mount Pleasant, opposite Roscoe Street, which Roscoe's
father owned later.
MAIL STREET 3
Formerly Warren Street. The change of name occurred when the new Post
Office Building in Copperas Hill was opened in 1977.
A soup kitchen established to Count Rumford's plan once stood on adjacent
HILL 6 and RUPERT LANE 5
Prince Rupert, the favourite son of Elizabeth, Queen of Bohemia, and
a nephew of Charles I, was a general in the Royalist army
during the Civil War. He took Liverpool, in 1644, and made
his headquarters in a cottage on Everton Brow.
Admiral Edward Russell, Earl of Oxford (1653-1727) is remembered
as the commander of the combined British and Dutch fleets which utterly
defeated the French at the Battle of La Hogue in 1692.
ANNE STREET 3
The name derives from St Anne's Church, built in 1772. In the l8th and
early l9th century, it was the most fashionable residential street in
DOMINGO ROAD and ST DOMINGO VALE 5
Named after an estate owned by George Campbell, a West India merchant,
who owned a privateer which captured a prize called St Domingo.
JAMES STREET l
The name derives from St James Church, Toxteth. Thereafter, the upper
part of Park Lane was called St James Street.
JOHN'S LANE 1
Formerly Fall Well Lane. The name derives from St John's Church, which
stood in what is now called St John's Gardens, at the back of St George's
Hall. Its former name comes from the Fall Well, in Lime Street, for
long the town's principal spurce of water.
PAUL'S SQUARE 3
St Paul's Church was built in 1769 on what was then known as `the Dogfield'.
The square and neighbourhood came to be called `the Belgravia of Liverpool'.
VINCENT STREET 3
It was named after Admiral John Jervis, 1st Earl St Vincent
(1735- 1823). He was elevated to the peerage after his great
victory over the French fleet off Cape St Vincent,
in 1797. He was presented with an address of thanks by the
Lord Sandon, afterwards the Earl of Harrowby, was a Member of Parliament
for Liverpool from 1835 to 1842.
The name suggests an allusion to the Sankey Canal, of which Henry Berry
who lived in a house on the corner of Duke Street and Berry Street)
was the engineer.
Originally Ware Street. The name School Lane was applied when the grammar
school founded by John Crosse took over the premises first
built for the Blue Coat Charity School.
It is one of the oldest roads in Liverpool's suburbs. Score means `to
One of Liverpool's turnpike roads, it led to Preston via
Walton, Burscough and Maghull. Stage coaches from Liverpool
followed this route through Lancaster and Kendal to Scotland.
Thomas Seel, a merchant and property owner, had a house in Hanover Street
with extensive gardens through which the street was laid.
lt was laid out by John Shaw, a Liverpool Councillor, whose
father had inherited through marriage the extensive Everton estate of
the Halsall family. It was a prestigious residential street in which
the first house was built in 1829.
Named after Alderman Richard Sheil, a merchant, who in his day was the
only Catholic Irishmman on the Town Council. The adjacent park is also
called after him.
THOMAS STREET 1
Originally Sir Thomas's Buildings. It commemorates Sir Thomas Johnson,
Mayor in 1715. He represented Liverpool in ten Parliaments. He died
in penury in London, in 1728.
Named after Gill Slater, who was the first captain of the Liverpool
Volunteers raised, in 1766, when a French invasion was threatened.
Parts of the common land in the neighbourhood were called Great and
Little Sleeper. They were first enclosed by a shoemaker and called Cobbler's
LANE 7 and SMITHDOWN ROAD
These two highways are amongst the oldest in Liverpool. They led to
Esmedune, a manor mentioned in the Doomsday Book. Smithdown derives
from Esmedune and means `smooth slope'.
JOHN STREET 1
Formerly Trafford's Weint. So called after Henry Trafford, Mayor in
John Sparling, Mayor in 1790, projected Queens Dock, which he proposed
to construct at his own expense but then sold to the Corporation for
the same purpose.
HALL LANE 9
A black and white cottage in the valley, known anciently as `the Moss',
was called Sparrow Hall.
HALL ROAD 25
It takes its name from Speke Hall, the home of the Norris family.
The name derives from `Spekelands', a mansion built by Thomas Earle,
Mayor in 1787.
`Spellow' means `Speech Hill' or mount, usually the centre
of an administrative area called a hundred. The site on which Spellow
Mill stood may have been the original Spellow, for when the mill
burnt down in 1828, it was thought to have been five hundred
Spencer James Steers, a grandson of Thomas Steers, the Dock Engineer,
owned land in Everton through which two streets were laid, one of
which was Spencer Street.
So called after Frederick Robert Spofforth, an Australian
cricketer vf the 1870's nicknamed the `Demon bowler'.
The name derives from Springwood House, built by William Shand, an owner
of plantations in the West Indies, who called it after his Antigua home.
The drawing room and library were said to have been copies
of rooms in Windsor castle.
Stanhope was the family name of the Earls of Harrington. The lst Earl
of Sefton married Isabella Stanhope, the daughter of the Earl of Harrington.
ROAD 2 & 5
It was laid out by Lord Derby about 1862.
Originally New Street. It was laid out in 1740 through land bought by
the Derby family from the Moores of Bankhall.
Called after Colonel R F Steble, Mayor in 1874/75 who, in 1879, presented
to the town the fountain at the top of William Brown Street.
WOOD ROAD 19
Named after one of the many woods on the Speke Estate.
Named after Rev Hugh Stowell Brown, minister of the Myrtle Street Baptist
Church which stood on the corner of Myrtle Street and Hope Street.
STREET 1 and THE STRAND 2
Originally the shore between high and low water. In the 1850's,
the block of buildings in Strand Street between Redcross Street
and Crooked Lane had so many sailmakers that it came to
be called `the Sailmaker's Home'.
Originally Elbow Lane. Named after Alderman Sweeting, Mayor
So called by William Pownall, Mayor in 1767, through whose land the
street was laid out. He came from Tabley in Cheshire.
Alderman Gregory Taggart was an Irishman who, at one time, was a collector
for the Royal Liver Friendly Society. He was nominated for election
to the Council by the Nationalist Society.
The Plumbes of Plumbe Hall, Wavertree, who had acquired a good deal
of land from the Moores, succeeded by marriage to the estate
of Sir George Tempest of Tong Hall, Yorkshire. They took the name Plumbe
Tempest, hence Tempest Hey.
COURT, TEMPLE LANE and TEMPLE STREET 2
The name Temple derives from an office complex built by Sir
William Brown, to the design of Sir James Picton, called `The
HALL ROAD 24
Derived from the name of a farm on the Speke Estate. On early maps,
it appears as Pewit Hall Farm.
It got its name from a house and estate once the residence of Thomas
Originally Moor Street. Lord Molyneux, Lord of the Manor, built his
tithe barn in Moor Street, in 1514.
Stables and a carriage shed for the horse trams of the Liverpool
ramway Company were built in this road.
Derives from the railway tunnel from Edge Hill to Lime Street.
Named in honour of the union of England and Scotland in 1717.
ROAD 8 & 17
Originally Owlet Road.
AVENUE 4 and UTTING AVE EAST 11
Sir John Utting, who was Liverpool's first `club doctor', was
Lord Mayor in 1917/18.
A Dutchman named Vandries once occupied an ancient hostelry which was
known by his name.
ROAD 3 & 5
Originally Pin fold Lane. Vauxhall was the name of a house on the banks
of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal past which the road led. The name derives
from Vauxhall Gardens in Lambeth, London, in the l8th century.
STREET 1 & 2
Named after Queen Victoria. It was laid out in the 1860's to provide
a new approach to Lime Street Station and St George's Hall.
Derives from the Virginia tobacco trade which flourished in Liverpool
in the l7th century.
HALL AVENUE 4 & 11
The mansion, after which the road was called, was bought by John Atherton,
a merchant and slave trader, in 1746. His son and grandson sold it to
another slave trader, Thomas Leyland, in 1804.
Named after Admiral Sir John Borlase Warren (1753-1822). In 1794, he
defeated French squadrons on two occasions and, in 1798, he intercepted
and defeated a French fleet on its way to Ireland. For this last victory,
the Council conferred on him the Freedom of the Borough.
Originally Bank Street or Bonke Street. It was one of the original seven
streets and it was so called because it led to the shore or riverbank.
Named after Nicholas Waterhouse, a merchant, who about 1806, bought
a house which William Clarke, the banker, had built there before 1790.
So called from `The Waterloo', a public house which also gave its name
to the Waterloo Cup for
Named after the Duke of Wellington after his famous victory at Waterloo,
Named in compliment to Edward Whitley, MP. He was the Ieader of the
Tory Party on the Council before his election to Parliament and his
name was a household word in Liverpool.
BROWN STREET 3
Originally Shaw's Brow. Named in compliment to Sir William Brown, who
gave to the town the Museum and Library.
The Williamson family owned a great deal of property in the neighbourhood
and they laid out the street in the third quarter of the 18th century.
The name derives from Quindale, which deteriorated to Whindale and thence
to the modern Window Lane.
The Wostenholme family owned the land on which it was built. It was
the first enclosed garden constructed in Liverpool.
TREE LANE 12
The name derives from a mansion called Yew Tree House, so named after
the ancient yew which grew in its grounds.
Originally George Street. The name was changed when Edward Augustus,
brother of George III, was made Duke of York and Albany.
OF NAMES WITH A COMMON THEME
There are many groups
of streets with a common theme, often topographical. Here is a selection
In close proximity to the site of Liverpool's first Botanical gardens,
opened in 1802 (many years before Kew Gardens), areALMOND, CHESTNUT, OLIVE and GROVE STREETS.
1 & 4
A firm of Welsh builders, Owen and William Owen Elias, laid out several
roads in Walton which were given names the initial letters of which
spelled the firm's title:
OXTON WINSLOW, ETON, NESTON, ANDREW, NIMROD, DANE, WILBURN,
ISMAY, LIND, LOWEL, INDEX, ARNOT, MAKIN, OLNEY, WELDON, EUSTON,
NIXON, LISTON, IMRIE, ASTON STREETS and STUART ROAD.
William Owen Elias built houses in the City Road area and the streets
were given the names which spelled the initial letters of his eldest
son, E. Alfred Elias:
ESPIN, ASKEW, LINTON, FRODSHAM, RIPON, EMERY
and DYSON STREETS.
CROCUS, PANSY, DAISY, WOODBINE and HAREBELL STREETS.
ELSIE, GER'TRUDE, MIRIAM and EDITH STREETS.
DAVID, ISAAC, JACOB and MOSES STREETS.
In the absence of the evangelist, Heber Radcliffe of Sun Hall, on a
mission to Russia, his family decided to develop land in
Stoneycroft in which he had an interest . As a surprise for him on his
return, they named the new roads
KREMLIN, MOSCOW and RUSSIAN DRIVES.
FAMILY 7 & 15
CECIL, HARDWICK, MONTAGUE, HYDE STREETS and CRAMBOURNE and SALISBURY
MANNERING, MARMION, WAVERLEY and IVANHOE ROADS.
A quack called Samuel Solomon sold a concoction he called `Balm of Gilead',
from which he made a fortune out of which he built a mansion, in Kensington,
called Gilead House. When it was demolished, three streets were laid
out on the opposite side of Kensington called GILEAD, SOLOMON
and BALM STREETS.
In the l8th century,
it became the fashion to borrow London street names for Liverpool streets.
In a guide published in 1797, the author W. Moss said; `the stranger
will have discovered a tendency here to ape the London names of places,
but which is to be feared of will, on comparison, tend to lessen in
his estimation what he might otherwise have considered as neat or commodious'.
The London street
name Cheapside derives from the `cheapside' of a street market but there
is no evidence to suggest that Liverpool's Cheapside ever had a market
nor do its former names Dig Lane, Duck Lane, Barne Hill or St Patrick's
Hill suggest as much.
Pall Mall in London
gets its name from a game and the Italian words palla (a ball) and maglio
(a mallet). Soho was an old hunting cry and it was applied to the London
area, now called Soho Square, where a hunt once met. Although Liverpool
Corporation once supported a pack of hounds, there is nothing to suggest
that it was associated with the city's Soho Square.
Fleet Street in
London took its name from a stream but at the time Liverpool's Fleet
Street was named it could bost no stream, only two breweries and a few